Monday, July 27, 2009

So the music is playin', you know what I'm sayin'...

The new apartment has been working out relatively well. My roommate, a guy from work, is extremely particular about the level of cleanliness here (and I'm pretty tidy) but it's much quieter, more relaxing and much more posh! The view is spectacular and there's a gym and a pool in the building. The pool sure comes in handy! I've also realized that although I like the idea of roommates in theory, in practice, I'm not such a fan. I like my space and my solitude, what can I say?

With my sightseeing cap never very far away, I visited the University of BC's Botanical Gardens with Lucy (Australia) and we tried out the Greenheart Canopy Walkway, which claims to give visitors a birds-eye view of the forest canopy. Not so much. I also made the trek to North Vancouver to finally see where my friend Kat (Australia) is living. She invited a bunch of us over for a BBQ/pool party. It was a great afternoon, but I had to leave early for an evening work shift. I returned a couple of days later to see the suspension bridge they checked out after I left. I never thought I was, but it's time to admit to myself I have a slight fear of heights...

Oh - and there's a trampoline in Kat's backyard! Anyone been on one lately? It's super fun, but jumping on one is not as effortless as it looks! Pant, pant...

I travelled inland to Abbotsford this past weekend to visit Heather, and old friend from home. We had a great, relaxing time - watched movies, talked and ate tons of food, drove to a big lake someplace where there were awesome views of the magnificent Mt. Baker and Mt. Chem, and walked around her posh neighborhood after a thunder and lightening storm and saw several antler-toting deer, bunnies...even huge slugs being kinky.

Here in Vancouver a couple of weeks ago we planned a Girls' Night Out. The girls came and met me when I got off work at 10pm and we headed out to a club - we decided to go early since the line-ups here are unreal! If you try to hit a popular club around 11pm you might be stuck in a line up that never moves for over an hour! On our way, we passed another club that already sported a long line-up...and waiting in line were the Boys. They apparently waited in line for 75 minutes before calling it quits and coming to the club at which they knew we were. But who can blame them - they just couldn't stay away from us! It was such a fun night. And - o' course - there was DANCING! (Who me?) I think I inadvertently made a couple of my girls jealous...there seemed to be a line up of guys that wanted to dance with me. What can I say? When I dance it's like moths to a flame...! For a long while now I've been comparing dancing to alcohol and drugs. It's my addiction - seriously. I need my fix. And the more I get, the more I want. If the music is right, I can lose myself. Sometimes I feel like I've left my body. Sheer joy. (The title of this entry is a lyric from Sweet Dreams by La Bouche, by the way. Not that anyone but me would really care!)
And I got in a bit more dancing when another friend from home, Brent, showed up in town on business for a few days. We hit the streets for some Spanish tapas at La Bodega, a few laughs at Yuk Yuks, and some electronica at Republic.

A few open air movies have been shown here recently. I missed the showing of Ghostbusters because I had to work but I made it to Stanley Park for the viewing of Princess Bride. Aaas....yoooooou...wiiiiiiish....!
Great, innocent fun. I love how everyone always gets into outdoor movies - which usually seem to be classics from the 80s.
We're also in the middle of the Celebration of Lights festival - an annual event in which several countries compete for the best musically-choreographed fireworks displays. Who doesn't like fireworks? Well...besides dogs. And boy, there sure are a lot of those here in Vancouver. Especially too many unnaturally microscopic dogs! It makes me feel a bit disturbed, actually...

Anyway, I have no idea what the date of today is. I generally have a vague idea what day of the week it is but as for what date or what month? Don't know. Time is rarely watched or counted, guarded or wished away these days.
And what country am I in? Where am I? In the UK or in Australia, where the accents of my good friends might indicate? In Japan or China, where the faces of many of our gelato customers are from? Ah, crazy days...and no, before you ask, I'm not smoking any pot!

But I'm keenly aware that this chapter is quickly drawing to a close. The calendar says I'll be back in NS in 31 days. One. More. Month. Geez, time flies! I'm really excited and sad all at the same time. And I'm already anticipating that the sights of my godson, his brother, and my Nan will visually mark the passage of my time away...

1 comment:

Misty said...

You kind of look like you're hovering in that picture there - LOL! I love it.

My name is Iniego Montoya. You keeled my father...preepare to die.

THREE WEEEEEEEEEKS!