Thank goodness I can always count on Mom!
It's official: I am back in Canada. I left Australia around 10:30am on May 12, flew for 14 hours and, thanks to the mysteries of time zones, I magically arrived in Vancouver, BC around 7:30am that same morning - 3 hours earlier than when my plane departed. (By the way, has anyone seen the movie Yes Man, with Jim Carey? I watched it on the flight. I think its theme is pretty fitting for me right now!) After winding through customs and collecting my luggage I caught a cab to the hostel.
But in Vancouver, in addition to eye contact, people smiled and said good morning and hello. The streets I walked were sprinkled with color and familiarity: tulips, pansies, and forget-me-nots hugged each other in the sunshine; pink cherry blossom petals gently drifted around me like floral snow; and our national flag, billowing from various flag posts - a sight I took for granted up until now - was a much welcome sight. I am proud to be Canadian!
I stayed at the hostel in the WestEnd/Downtown area of Vancouver (Hostelling International Downtown) for three weeks and just recently moved out into an apartment across the street. The building is an old 5 storey, character building - complete with an old-fashioned, gated elevator and claw-foot tubs. My roommate seems pretty cool and easy-going. Unfortunately, it's a pretty noisy location at night, so I'm not sure how long I'll stay. But I love this part of the city: it's downtown and therefore close to everything, but doesn't have that close, smothering, anonymous, city feeling. There's not that many tall buildings and, as I've said, there are lots of trees and flowers and smiling, friendly people.
[Photo: The countdown to the Olympic is in full swing!]
I've also been working. I picked up a job in a gelateria, serving tasty gelato! (Would you like a cup or cone? http://www.mondogelato.com/) I've been loving it! I'm inclined to think it's because I get to deal with so many random people but for only a short period of time. There's no relationships to build, perceptions to worry about, and really - who isn't happy when they come in to buy gelato!? So I have no idea how long the love-affair will last, but for now it's quite enjoyable. I get to eat all the gelato I want - thank goodness there are sorbettos and soy gelatos for when I actually have willpower and try to restrain myself. And there are tips...first job I've ever had where I get tips.
There's also an administrative assistant job at Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC), in their Buying and Design department, for which I've applied. I've had two interviews with them so far and really hope I get the job. Whatever the outcome, I will be taking it as a sign. The second interview, which was yesterday afternoon, was held in person, in a meeting room called Nova Scotia! There was a map of the province on the wall and everything. Very fitting. So I've decided that either means I'm going to get the job, or it's a sign that home is calling!

6 comments:
I don't think I have ever seen you wear a hat that way before! That and the tension gone from your face. Maybe we should all take your lead and shave years off ourselves....physically and mentally I am quite sure! I still am so amazed at you over the last year, so brave and daring! Talk soon, Laura
Holly , Don't want you to think we've not been reading your blog. We have, but just didn't respond this last time. I love your pictures in Vancouver and you sure do look great in that last one. The weather sounds great as well. How can you not eat all that gelato. When in Italy we had to have it at least once a day. Love it! Especially the lemon, yum. Our weather is so-so. We have had some nice days but our share of rain as well. We got some pictures of our old cottage and they are adding to it so it looks quite different. Anyway my dear enjoy your time in B.C. and hope it won't be too long before we see you here in the Far East. Take care of yourself. Aunt Anne
I am still reading too. And long hair looks great on you!!!!!! I hope you get the job at MEC, you'd probably get some pretty sweet deals I am sure :O). So glad you're still having fun. Take it all in. Love Jo
Hellooooo!!! Any Holly out there? My life is pretty hum drum so living through you these days.....I'm feeling abandoned and alone! Blog soon, miss you, Laura.
Holly,beautiful grounds were you are.You look so sweet and tanned.DANCE>>>>DANCE>>>>DANCE>>>>> Boy the place in B.c. won't be the same when you are gone ..my dear.The guys are going to be looking for YOU.We'll they may come visit? EH? love Mum xxoo
Hey girl, i forgot to say ....YOU SHOULD STILL APPLY TO " SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE " something with DANCING... teaching or get involved some how ...IT IS TRULY IN YOUR BLOOD" puppy briand,aunt shirly,nanny and puppy gillis and julie,uncle jack ALL like to DANCE dad and i always did too.But YOU have a natural passion for it soooo don't ever let it go !!! mum xo
Post a Comment