Friday, May 15, 2009

Ode to a random dinner conversation and a hat...

(FYI: This entry was posted closely on the heels of another - one about my stay in Sydney, which you may have missed. For those of you wishing to follow along chronologically, you can find it through the Blog Archive menu on the left. Select the month of May and then scroll down through the entries until you find where you left off.)

Ready and waiting for a heart worth the breaking / But I'd settle for an honest mistake in the name of / One sweet love. ~ lyrics from Sara Bareilles' One Sweet Love

That rambling dinner conversation between Rebecca and I that evening in Darling Harbour did cover quite a number of topics, including one of our favorite subjects: men! But as we talked it hit me, with brutal clarity, that an unacceptably long period of time has passed since I've been involved in anything I'd consider a serious relationship with a guy. The shocking personal realization continued to haunt my thoughts for the next few days.

Then I bought a funky, new hat in Airlie Beach. What does that have to do with anything, you may wonder. Well, for starters, I'm not a hat person. I've never liked the look of myself in hats. But that didn't stop me from continuing to try them on anytime I found a new style, in hope that one would finally suit me. Is the metaphor apparent yet? I should be doing the same with men, yes? In theory, the more I meet and "try on", the better chance I'll have of finally finding one who "fits". Ah, it sounds like Carrie Bradshaw in the flesh, doesn't it?

So what's the point of me sharing such a private self-reflection? Well, I know that over the years I've become overly sensitive, often defensive, and closed off on the subject of finding a man, briskly deflecting any attempts at being set up. But if I can jump out of a perfectly good airplane then, surely, I can turn over a new leaf with regards to the search for Mr. Right. I know I'm not home yet, but I am officially open and willing to meet anyone you deem worthy, my dear friends and family. I just hope I know what I'm getting myself into here...!

No comments: