Sunday, May 3, 2009

It's a Bird! It's a Plane!

Did anyone read the mysterious comment left by Rebecca on my last blog entry? Funny girl - I sure did make my last day count and she was my partner in crime. No, we didn't knock over a bank - we went tandem skydiving! Think I'm joking? I've got proof! A handy-cam video of my jump! Unfortunately, I don't think I can upload it to the blog so you'll have to wait until I get home. But let me just say that the feeling you get from falling out of a plane from an altitude of 12,000ft, the feeling of tumbling and plummeting to the earth at such a high speed - free falling - can't be anticipated. It's like nothing you can ever imagine. Alas, my descriptive skills will fail me here. The whole experience is a difficult one to convey. It's just one of those things you can only comprehend if you've experienced it firsthand...but I'll do my best.

The day started off uneventfully enough. Being that it was my last day, I had a few loose ends to tie up (like selling back my NZ mobile phone) and a few errands to run (like purchasing some Australian currency). Rebecca and I had been kicking the idea around for a couple of weeks, ever since we saw that a special deal was being offered but, for all intents and purposes, I had basically written off the possibility that we would go. We decided almost on a whim that very morning to go for it. I think the spontaneity was a bit of a blessing: it didn't leave me much time to think about what I was about to do. We were joined by five other girls - seven of us in total - with not a courageous boy in sight, and were driven to the jump site of NZ Skydive. After the paperwork was out of the way, three of us were instructed to head over to another building get geared up. Miraculously, I was designated to be the first jumper. I was actually quite happy about this. Jumping first meant that I wouldn't have time to get overly nervous and, secondly, I egotistically relished the idea of being the pioneer of our little group.

We were given brief instructions, and then it was time for me to go. I followed Roy, my tandem master, to the plane. We were joined by several other guys, solo skydivers, who were sharing the plane ride up. My mind's eye flashed on how our little group must have looked, geared up in the suits and harnesses, walking down the little dirt road towards the plane. I'm sure we looked as cool as the heroes did in the movie Armageddon, when they were all suited up, ready for action, walking in dramatic, slow motion towards the camera...yeah, right! Anyway, we all climbed into the narrow plane, me with my back to Roy, positioned between his legs so he could connect our harnesses in preparation for the jump. I watched out the window as the plane moved forwards, lifted off the ground, and climbed higher and higher. The ground terrain gradually morphed from detailed blades of grass to distant patchworks of farmland. At 12,000ft, the door was opened. I fought the urge to clutch Roy's legs with my icy fingers. As I watched, the solo jumpers manoeuvred themselves out the door, gripping the edges of the door frame until they were in position, then, in the span of one blink, they were gone...and, with something akin to horrific disbelief, I knew I was next. I suddenly found myself moved off the bench and to the door. My legs dangled over the edge. In the next instant my whole body was hanging out of the door into the vast sky, the wind whipping around me as I dangled from only the harness and Roy's body. There was Nothing in front of me. Well, to clarify, the ground was in front of me, but the ground was was tiny and 12,000ft away! You don't really realize just how intangible and empty of solid objects the sky is until you are faced with being launched into it, with nothing but gravity to keep you company. And then there's the freefall. It only lasts a few seconds but it was more than enough! The sensation of plummeting at such a high speed, with no point of reference remotely nearby, with nothing to grab onto and nothing to indicate how far up you are, is like nothing I have ever experienced. In spite of the fact that, logically, I knew we were dropping towards the ground like a hurtling brick, I didn't know which way was up until Roy opened the parachute, immediately slowing our descent. Until that point, my brain had unsuccessfully struggled to comprehend what the heck was going on! Once the chute was opened, and my brain could once again take stock of what was happening, I surveyed what lay before me. I could see for miles. We passed through a cloud - a cloud! - at one point. Then Roy starting twisting and spiraling us, catching me off guard as the gentle descent was thrown into a spin. What a ride. As we neared the ground, I saw a nervous looking Rebecca waiting for her ride up. Roy reminded me to pull up my legs and we landed in a seated position, landing with a bump on our behinds - safe and sound. Roy unharnessed me and I wobbly stood up, grinning from ear to ear as I walked over to Rebecca. We exchanged a few words and then it was her turn. Triumphant, I returned to the five other girls awaiting their turns, regaling them with my experience. Zoinks! What a finale for my time in New Zealand.
After our exciting and exhausting day Rebecca and I returned to the hostel. We had a quick dinner, popped open Tomas and George's leftover bottle of champagne for a toast, and then I retreated to our room to pack up my things. I had to be up at 3:30am the following morning in order to be at the airport in time for my flight to Sydney, Australia - which is where I am right now. I've already been here a few jam-packed days and have lots to report. I'll try to work on another blog entry soon. As for upcoming plans, Rebecca and I are flying to the Whitsunday Islands on Thursday morning for a few days. We booked 2 beds on a catamaran for a 2 day/2 night sail. It sounds great! Details (and photos) will follow!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! WOW! Wow! That is incredible! You did it! WOW! Nothing like going out with a bang! So when do you get back to NS? (guess....)Love Jo

Misty said...

Aaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuughhhhhhhhhhh!
And that's from the ground...in Nova Scotia! You are a crazy, crazy girl, and I can't wait to see that video. I'm waiting for Mom's post...

Hope you have a wonderful time in Sydney and the Whitsundays. Take lots of pics.

Miss You!
M

Anonymous said...

Holly, MY GOD YOU are a GUTSY GIRL !!!!! Were do you get all this fearlessness????? Not me nor dad.Be careful??Know wonder i pray every night for God to stay by you and keep you safe,and just the other nite i asked for 100 ANGLES to surround YOU .Wow ,someone was telling me something,i'm so happy they did.PLEASE ,DON"T give me any more HAIR raising worries! LOTS OF LOVE even way up there MUM & DAD XXOO surprises....LOVE ,even way up there MUM & Dad XXoo

Anonymous said...

Holly, Holly, Holly!!! We've just arrived home and had a great deal to catch up on with your advertures. But certainly didn't expect to read such daring and wonderful experiences such as canyoning and jumping from perfectly good airplanes. You are one brave girl. You are giving your Mom and Dad big surprises. And now you're in Australia. How great is that? If you see Hugh Jackman there say hi for me. Keep well and enjoy your time down under. Aunt Anne

Anonymous said...

All I can say is I'm going to be sick lol. I hate heights hahahahehehehe. What a memory though Holl. Waiting to see video. Keep us posted.

Auntie Shell

Anonymous said...

Wow!..keep posting!!

love
Bran