My room
The living room
The kitchen/dining area
Now let's see...what new experiences have I gotten up to since the last post that I should share? Ah yes, I went to my first NZ horse race - the Tauherenikau races at the Wairarapa Racing Club - in honour of my Uncle Fred who keeps telling me that horse racing is big here and that NZ thoroughbreds are an enviable breed. Rebecca, Kirsty, Susanna and I caught the train from Wellington into Featherston Friday morning. It was a holiday here - Waitangi Day - so none of them had to work. I almost felt like a little kid walking through the grounds. Bright, warm sunshine. Musical sounds drifting from an old fashioned band playing in the shade. Smells wafting from the food vendors: coffee, hot dogs, ice cream, wood-fired pizzas... A man on stilts delicately picking his way through the crowds. Numerous teenage hoochy-mamas parading around on the grass in their barely-there slips of dresses. (Hear the record screech - wha?)
The four of us decided to make a bet on the first race - get into the action. I forked over a whopping $2 and bet a "place" on No.3-Beaucoup. With a "place", if my horse finished in first, second, or third, I'd win. None of our horses won that race. Susanna and Kirsty placed a few more bets on the races that followed, experimenting with the different types of bets. I was biding my time. As I perused the race book, amusing myself with the unique names given to the horses, I spied a particular race taking place later in the afternoon, with a horse running in it whose name jumped out at me. I was sure it was a sign: the horse, Our Fred, was running in a harness race. My Uncle Fred used to harness race. See? An omen! So I went up to the betting window and made a $2 place bet on No.2-Our Fred. And I waited. The race time was almost upon us. I had a good feeling about this!! My three friends beside me chatted away, but I blocked them out - I was determined to watch this race. I wanted to concentrate once Our Fred was on the track. To mentally transmit good thoughts and encouragement. The race time marked in the book came and went but, finally, the race started. All senses alert, I scanned the track, looking for No.2. Ah, there he is! But wait... Something's not right here. There are no harnesses or carts. And Our Fred's name wasn't listed on the electronic board. It clearly reflected the name Twoeezy beside the No.2 slot. What was doing on? Is this your race, the girls asked. I was confused. I don't know, I responded. I flipped through the book again. I couldn't have missed the race. I had been sitting here waiting for it. How - ? What - ? I decided to go ask at one of the betting windows. The operator took my ticket and scanned it in. Didn't win, she told me, crumpling up my ticket. My hand shot out - oh, I want that! Can you at least tell me where it placed, I asked. She punched a few keys and, handing me back the wrinkled ticket, said the horse didn't place. I shook my head. Then to her, I said, I don't know how I missed the race. Wasn't here, she replied, it was at another track. Wha? Yes, friends and family, in my ignorance of racing, not knowing how to properly read the race book, I placed a bet on a horse running in a race somewhere else. Well, Our Fred sure didn't turn out to be a good omen after all, but I'm sure Uncle Fred will enjoy the story all the same!!
The NZ International Sevens descended on Wellington last weekend as well - rugby. Teams from around the world arrive to play 7 on 7, two halves per game, each half 7 minutes long. But the NZI Sevens is about more than just rugby - it's about costumes. NZ seems to celebrate in pure Halloween-style for these games. And many of the costumes put ours to shame! Check out this photo gallery I found: http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominionpost/765594a29607.html
I can't quite explain the delight and merriment I felt one day as I walked into town and saw a dozen smurfs walking down the other side of the road. White smurf hats, white leggings, white shoes, and Smurf-blue body paint covering every other visible patch of skin. Wish I'd had my camera on me!
As for this past week, I went to see Slumdog Millionaire. Very good movie, even though it reveals a hard and difficult way of life. Very far removed from any reality I have experienced, or ever will. And the story was told in a unique way, very well done. I also managed to get myself to a conditioning and stretch class. Ahhhh...finally. A bit of yoga, a bit of pilates. My body was quite happy.
Trish and Kelly had me over for dinner Wednesday night. (I think they would have been happy to have me stay with them after all.) And following dinner, Trish and I made our way to the Botanical Gardens to watch a Film by Starlight, part of the summer city festival. The movie this week was more like a documentary: Standing in the Shadows of Motown, about some Detroit musicians called The Funk Brothers who basically worked with most of the big motown names and had a hand in hundreds of huge motown songs we all know and love. It was pretty good.
My mom's birthday was Thursday (HAPPY BIRTHDAY AGAIN, MUM!). And wandering through town running errands that day I spied a familiar face - Andrea, one of the girls I spent Christmas with in Queenstown. We decided to go for coffee - a smoothie for me, thanks - and to meet up again the following day. It was great to see her and catch up.
Anyway, I'm off to a non-Valentine's party tonight. We're supposed to dress up in Baywatch style...although with it being a bit on the cool side I'm not sure how many red bathing suits and short shorts we'll actually see. I think Rebecca and I will at least stuff our bras in true Pamela Anderson style. Maybe I'll wear my red Canada Day shirt (thanks, Shelagh!)
HAPPY VALENTINES DAY - OR NOT! It all depends on who you are! :O)
Holly
7 comments:
I love your place! It looks cozy Hol. Happy Valentines to you :). So I hear you are considering Aussieland? Fill me in on your plans. Miss you.xoox
Holl,
Congrad's on the job, sounds like it will be intresting..Your place looks great, it must be so good to have a home base. I am always on the run , but will check back tonight
9 DAYS UNTIL YOUR B-DAY!!
It was me ACath xoxoxo
Hi Holly, I read your blog after e-mailing you and was glad to see you had found a job. Congratulations. Sounds like an interesting one. Maybe you will like it enough to stay on for awhile. The pics of your little flat look nice and clean. I'm sure you are comfortable there. We'll have access to a laptop in Florida so can probably keep in touch. Keep happy and have fun. Aunt Anne.
Holly,Ilaughed when i read about the races.Uncle Fred will too.You were right THE COSTUMES WERE AWSOME!I ENLARGED THEM WOW !! Sweet place ,cozy too.The job will definately be interesting to say the least ,and NO head thinking much.Maybe you might meet a sweet ,nice looking COP or even better a detective EH??EUUUUUUH can't wait to see what the next chapter (blog) will say????? xo mum dad
hee....I love where you are working that is SO great!! My little CSI Holly : )
And I think your flat looks fantastic, shitty that it's a bit cold but you could be HERE and it's been a wicked winter - holy crap!! I miss ya and am SO terribly proud of ya - hope you're not sick of hearing that - but I am truly amazed at your adventure and brilliant writing skills capturing it all - well done YOU!!
; ) Shelagh Potatohead
Happy Belated Birthday!! Sounds like you are experiencing it all. That is so awesome Holly. I am so enjoying your blog. I agree with your Aunt Anne, you sure have the talent for writing. I feel like I am right there along with you. Enjoy & grab what comes your way. Seize every moment. Take care. Ruth & Russell
Post a Comment