Queenstown: The Remarkables mountain range
The Minus 5 ice bar
The Misty Breath
Well, well, well...time sure flies when you're having fun! I hope everyone had a fabulous holiday and didn't miss me too much. :o) I had been worried that I would feel very lonely and homesick and not enjoy the holidays at all. Fortunately, although it never did feel like Christmas to me, I was surrounded by a great bunch of other travellers at the Butterfli Lodge in Queenstown who made my holidays extremely fun and enjoyable.
But I should back up a bit. I'm a bit behind in my blogging! When I last left you, I was just getting acquainted with Wanaka. With the lovely setting I described in my last post beckoning from every inch of the small town, I explored a few shops and cafes, hiked up Mount Iron to capture some great photos of Lake Wanaka and the mountains, and enjoyed the uniqueness of Cinema Paradiso - a small movie theatre who's claim to fame is its original character. Your choice of seating ranges from second hand sofas, to armchairs, three airplane seats, even an old converible Morris Minor! You can purchase the usual, like popcorn, or a variety of other things like homemade ice cream (I had white chocolate and Baileys) or even a meal. The movie, Madagascar 2, was stopped for intermission so we could buy warm, fresh baked cookies from the fully costumed staff...I'd recommend the double chocolate chip cookie I purchased from the woman dressed as the zebra from Madagascar 2. One of my roommates at the hostel the first night I was there was a girl from Japan by the name of Sophie. She was a very bubbly, nice girl. We decided to share our dinner supplies. I was making spaghetti (which she was intrigued to see me make, not knowing how to make spaghetti. Seriously.) and she bought us a bunch of fruit for dessert. The second night - I had the room, a 4 bed dorm room, all to myself. It was great!! On the third day, a couple of girls from Israel I met in Nelson showed up at the hostel. New Zealand sure seems small sometimes - but in a good way. Eventually my three days in Wanaka came to an end and it was time to head to Queenstown.
Queenstown is the activity captial of the country. Whatever you want to do, you can find a store that offers it: bungy jumping, sky diving, paragliding, jet boating, canyoning, luging, the list goes on! But it's all expensive. I've considered sky diving in several towns, and canyoning appeals to me, but I just can't justify the cost. We're talking a few hundred bucks each for these activities and I'd rather use the cash to continue my travels! Maybe when I'm nearing the end of my time in NZ I'll decide whether I've got enough cash to splurge and make it a grand finale. So although I didn't partake of the usual types of activities in Queenstown I still had lots of fun to pass the days. Jo - I finally tried a slice of pizza from Hell Pizza (the vegan variety by the name of Sinister). I took a stroll through the Queenstown Gardens and toward Frankton to get a good view of The Remarkables mountain range. Walked up a steep ,zig-zag trail to the top of the Skyline Gondola with Andrea (a German girl who worked at the hostel), got my picture taken with Mr. Claus himself, and then rode the gondola back down. Exploring the town I ran into Chris and Richard, two guys from England who I had travelled with on Stray up until Wanaka. Are you getting a feel for how often I'm running into people I know?? It's crazy! I went out for cheap desserts one afternoon ($3 apple pie...mmmmm) at Pog Mahones with Tim from Ireland, who worked at the hostel. Apparently Pog Mahones means Kiss My Ass in Ireland.
But I should back up a bit. I'm a bit behind in my blogging! When I last left you, I was just getting acquainted with Wanaka. With the lovely setting I described in my last post beckoning from every inch of the small town, I explored a few shops and cafes, hiked up Mount Iron to capture some great photos of Lake Wanaka and the mountains, and enjoyed the uniqueness of Cinema Paradiso - a small movie theatre who's claim to fame is its original character. Your choice of seating ranges from second hand sofas, to armchairs, three airplane seats, even an old converible Morris Minor! You can purchase the usual, like popcorn, or a variety of other things like homemade ice cream (I had white chocolate and Baileys) or even a meal. The movie, Madagascar 2, was stopped for intermission so we could buy warm, fresh baked cookies from the fully costumed staff...I'd recommend the double chocolate chip cookie I purchased from the woman dressed as the zebra from Madagascar 2. One of my roommates at the hostel the first night I was there was a girl from Japan by the name of Sophie. She was a very bubbly, nice girl. We decided to share our dinner supplies. I was making spaghetti (which she was intrigued to see me make, not knowing how to make spaghetti. Seriously.) and she bought us a bunch of fruit for dessert. The second night - I had the room, a 4 bed dorm room, all to myself. It was great!! On the third day, a couple of girls from Israel I met in Nelson showed up at the hostel. New Zealand sure seems small sometimes - but in a good way. Eventually my three days in Wanaka came to an end and it was time to head to Queenstown.
Queenstown is the activity captial of the country. Whatever you want to do, you can find a store that offers it: bungy jumping, sky diving, paragliding, jet boating, canyoning, luging, the list goes on! But it's all expensive. I've considered sky diving in several towns, and canyoning appeals to me, but I just can't justify the cost. We're talking a few hundred bucks each for these activities and I'd rather use the cash to continue my travels! Maybe when I'm nearing the end of my time in NZ I'll decide whether I've got enough cash to splurge and make it a grand finale. So although I didn't partake of the usual types of activities in Queenstown I still had lots of fun to pass the days. Jo - I finally tried a slice of pizza from Hell Pizza (the vegan variety by the name of Sinister). I took a stroll through the Queenstown Gardens and toward Frankton to get a good view of The Remarkables mountain range. Walked up a steep ,zig-zag trail to the top of the Skyline Gondola with Andrea (a German girl who worked at the hostel), got my picture taken with Mr. Claus himself, and then rode the gondola back down. Exploring the town I ran into Chris and Richard, two guys from England who I had travelled with on Stray up until Wanaka. Are you getting a feel for how often I'm running into people I know?? It's crazy! I went out for cheap desserts one afternoon ($3 apple pie...mmmmm) at Pog Mahones with Tim from Ireland, who worked at the hostel. Apparently Pog Mahones means Kiss My Ass in Ireland.
Christmas did sneak its way into my heart a few times. The first time was when I was sitting in front of the TV at the hostel one evening watching Shrek the Halls and Santa Clause 2! Christmas Eve I felt a tug to go to church, which is something I always do at home, so Sumi (a Japanese girl from my hostel; she broke up with her boyfriend over the holidays) and I headed over for the Children's mass at St. Joseph's. Later that night, Tim and I headed over to the Minus 5 bar. Minus 5 is a bar made entirely of ice - including the glasses. We got geared up in big parkas and mittens and entered the bar for our alloted 30 minutes. Absolut Vodka was the alcohol on tap. We each ordered a drink which was included with our ticket...but I should have read the cocktail menu before ordering. There was a drink called Misty Breath, so I HAD to order it being that my sis' name was in it and all. So I, Holly, fan of sobriety, had two cocktails in the span of 30 minutes. Yep, you can guess I was feeling a little tipsy and giggly during the walk back to the hostel! I think I kept Tim entertained!
Christmas Day the hostel treated everyone to a big breakfast fry up (eggs, bacon, toast, mushrooms, tomatoes...homemade cake). And that night we all joined up again for Christmas dinner - a potluck BBQ of sorts! For living a backpacker lifestyle and spending time with others in the same position, I really didn't expect there to be so much food! I felt like all we did was eat, just like it would have been at home! Speaking of home, the calls, emails, cards, and gifts from many of you were very much appreciated. It made my heart sing to hear from home over the holidays. Boxing Day I joined Thomas and George (Czech Republic) for a drive up to the Remarkables Ski point (they've been traveling around in a camper van). Our plan was to go for a hike up there but George and I were too lazy and decided a 20 minute walk was enough. The drive alone tired me out - the road was pretty close to the edge of the bank and I'm sure my stomach was clenched the entire time as I peered over that ledge! Once we finally reached the bottom again, we induldged a bit more and enjoyed some gelato at Patagonia Chocolates...mmm...dark chocolate and macadamia nuts.
So yeah, the majority of the Christmas holidays were spent just hanging out / eating / chatting / playing games / watching movies with Tim (Ireland), Andrea (Germany), Thomas and George (Czech Republic), Helen (England), Scott and Carla (USA), and Sumi (Japan). They definitely couldn't replace all of you, but they sure eased being away from home for the holidays.
1 comment:
Holy cow your hair is so long!! Looks great. Sounds like you have been keeping yourself very busy...excellent. I am getting ready to go back to work on Monday-yuck. But I guess it has to be done :)
Again, beautiful pics.
Elaine
Post a Comment