Hey there faithful friends and family!
I'm sure you'll be happy to hear that this week went much better. My only interactions with animals were happy ones: feeding the calves, as usual, and I also fed (and played with) Ben, the new puppy. I did a lot of weeding, mowed a few lawns, did lots of housework, and got some more fence work done. I had to fix some outriggers that were attached improperly by a prior backpacker. I kind of enjoyed the fence work - I got to take the ATV and head out myself, with the wind blowing through my hair. And I drove through a paddock covered in buttercups; such a happy, sunny yellow field. Wednesday afternoon I popped down to the lake and went for a paddle in their kayak - why it's taken me this long to do it, I don't know.
This weekend has been all about parties! Friday night the Harts hosted a dinner party for their 5 neighbours. It was a nice evening...complete with a homemade pavlova! Mmmmm... Saturday afternoon, the kids were invited to a birthday party at a rented cottage by the beach. I tagged along to see the beach! The air wasn't warm enough for me to swim (it's still only spring here), but the kids had a blast splashing around in the shallow pools. And tomorrow (Sunday) we're having a party for George's 5th birthday. I'm looking forward to it, but I'm also glad my lodgings are separate so when I've had enough of the sugar-charged kids, I can slip away!!
I leave the farm Friday morning - the bus seat has been booked! My days here are numbered. I'll travel back to Taupo to reconnect with the Stray bus tour I had been on before jumping off to the farm. It will take me down to Wellington, the capital of New Zealand, where I'll stay for a couple of days, then I'll cross over to the South Island and see if I can find a job in Nelson for a while. Nelson is supposedly one of the sunniest towns and is one of the most liveable cities in NZ. So they say. I'll let you know what I think! If all goes well, I may see if I can find room in a flat and base myself from there. I'm excited at the prospect of seeing the South Island. I keep hearing that it's even better than the North Island. I'd give you an idea of the types of things I'll likely see and do there, but I'd rather it be a suprise!
Short entry for once. :O)
Until next time - Kia Ora!
Tuesday Poem: Missing Hat
12 years ago
3 comments:
Hi Holly
I just got caught up in your blog entries. Holy cow your fingers have been flying over those keys.
I hope you find it helpful to vent everything to us via the blog. Sounds like you've had a strong mix of emotions.
Perhaps a nice vegetable farm would be less gruesome :) I'm proud of you for sticking out the sheep farming as long as you did, not sure I could have done half of that work load.
Hope you find a more social working enviroment next...it looks like you had so much fun hanging with the other world travelers.
Elane
Hey Holl,
I am back up and running. I had posted three times , but nothing showed, it was my computer, all is good now......the farm life is almost over, onto your next adventure. Can't wait to see were or what you do next...
Talk to you soon
Love ACath xoxo
Hey Holl
Glad this week went better for you. Yes the week will go fast. You have forge some new friends and will no soon forget this experience; the good and the bad. Keep us posted and play safe. Auntie Shelifax
Post a Comment