Okay, I'm starting to get really behind in blogging what's been happening! Auckland, the city in which I've been staying, is the main city in New Zealand, home to 1/3 of the country's population. I attended a fantastic orientation the day after I arrived. On Thursday (Oct 9), I rode along on a free tour of Auckland by Kiwi Experience bus line. It was great - got us outside of Auckland Central.
We started off with a Harbour Bridge walk (this is a picture of the bridge we were on). We had to put on harnesses and were connected to an iron wire running under the bridge - we walked underneath across the bridge girders. I think they said the highest point was about 43ft above water. It was so windy! At about halfway across, we stopped at this pod - a capsule from where we had a chance to bungy jump! No one from our group did though. But it was really funny when they opened the pod - they played this really dramatic music and one side of the pod began to slowly lift, and we were left looking down into the water. The guys running the capsule both jumped for our entertainment.
We also drove up two dormant volcanos (Mount Victoria and I forget the name of the other.) We were able to walk down one of them towards another beach area where I took these photos.
Last stop was at an ice cream shop. I kept hearing about the most famous flavor in New Zealand - the Hokey Pokey, so I had to try it, dairy intolerance or no. It wasn't bad...although, it didn't seem all that spectacular to me. I think it's just vanilla ice cream with these little honeycomb things in it.
I wasn't sure if I'd have time to get this blog in tonight, so I didn't bring my notes - I had some things planned to write about! I hope I captured it all here. If not, I'll try to include it next time.
I walked up to Auckland Domain today (a big park with a Wintergarden!), might be going out dancing tonight (come on, I can't leave Auckland without kicking my heels up a little bit!), and then tomorrow morning, I'm leaving Auckland and heading up to Northland for a few days (figured it would be a good idea to see everything north of Auckland before I start my journey south). I'll return to Auckland after 4 or 5 days and will post another entry to two then.
Happy Thanksgiving! Have some pumpkin pie for me!!
11 comments:
Yeah!!!!!!!! Finally! ONE PLACE YOU HAVE TO GO UP NORTH IS PAIHIA (BAY OF ISLANDS)! It was one of my top 3 spots by far! And the marae (treaty house) where they signed the Waitangi treaty is only a 15 min walk from there! Definetly a must see cultural wise. This town is amazing, and a tour of the bay of islands a must, also a jaunt out to the "hole in the rock". can be done in 1/1.5 days! CANT WAIT FOR MORE PICS! Oh,...when you get back to Devonport, on the main road (right side going up hill) there is an amazing fabric shop. they have tons of NZ fabrics, a REALLY great thing to bring home and you can be creative to make a quilt, pillows, wedding invitations :o)hee hee And the war bunker (under Devonport) also a must to go through!
From Auckland, there is a 10 min bus ride to this place called Mission Bay (you can see it from Devonport) you have to go there and go to MOVENPIK! (Swiss icecream place)
Love
Jo-Anna
OH HOLLY, I am so jealous!!!MUM What a fantastic trip and ADVENTURE you are on. Boy this is not something many people get to experence!!WOW!! I am living the trip threw you ,pictures and all.You will never forget this trip LADY!!You write like a story i don't want to put down.Hugs AND kisses MUM & DAD
You're there! Can't imagine the adventure you're having. Good thing you've got a way with words! You should have done the bungy jumping! ;-) My pumpkin is still growing in my garden. Hopefully it will be ready to carve the week before Halloween. I'll be thinkin of you.
Barb
what ever do you mean, you DIDNT do the bungee jumping? Thought you'd be all over that! Its sunny and beautiful back here in Hali this Thanksgiving, after the 'crapfest' of last week with world markets crashing, I think anyone who DOESNT work in the financial world ie. YOU - would be happy folks! I haven't gotten my pumpkin yet but Mr. Bojangles has a place of honour on my bookshelf and he is JUST waiting : ) Your pix are excellent! You sound ridiculously happy and stress-free! YAY!! Miss you, Big Hugs SHE
Hey! I did a special blog entry for you today on my blog of the top things for you to do in the North and South Islands based on our favorite things, with some picturess I hadnt posted before. Go to:
http://joannaarseneau.blogspot.com/
Love Jo-Anna
Happy Thanksgiving to you too Holly. I am going for my turkey and pumpkin pie tommorrow with the folks.
You would be a fantastic tour guide...good memory and lots of description!!
Elaine
Keep it coming Holl. Sound fun and interesting too. Keep safe. Happy Thankgiving. Auntie S
Hi Holl,,
The little bird could have poo-poo on your salad :)
Little Bakery,Chocolates,ice cream
a girl from my own heart.
I know Jo-Anna wishes she was there with you,...I wish we were all there!!!
Love ACath xoxo
You'd make a good travel writer! My stomach was twisting just reading about the bridge walk. I am starting a needlework project in a couple of weeks called "Four Sheep Grazing"! Lots of green grass and of course the wooly sheep. The coincidence didn't occur to me until I read your blog.
TTYL
Melissa
GOOD LUCK LITTLE BIRD.. IT IS IN THE BRIAND NATURE TO TRAVEL..MUCH LIKE OUR GRANDFATHER DID IN THE 1920S..LOL.I AM JEALOUS OF THE ADVENTURE YOU ARE HAVING AND YOUR IMAGERY AND STORYING TELLING ARE SUPERB..I THINK YOU MAY HAVE MISSED YOUR CALLING AN AUTHOR IS HIDDEN IN YOU..I WILL KEEP WATCHING AND LAUGHING..GOOD LUCK AND CHEERS LASSIE ..COUSIN JAMIE
good to see your having a lot of fun. not missing much back here. keep up the travels!!!
Post a Comment